Those who have never tried crab cakes have yet to experience true pleasure. A dish that is synonymous with vacation at the beach. Everyone will ooh and aah in great joy. Quick and delicious. You can’t beat that.
Note: Crab cakes can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator (2-3 days) or the freezer (3 months).
Yield: 4 servings or 6 small crab cakes
- 1 egg
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of Japanese mayonnaise (or regular mayonnaise)
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp.) of Dijon mustard
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp.) of chili sauce
- 1 lb (450 g) of crab meat
- A fist full of chopped coriander
- 2 thinly chopped scallions
- 90 ml (6 tbsp.) of panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Generous amount of peanut oil
- 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a bowl, combine egg, lemon, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and chili sauce, and mix well. Add crab meat, coriander, scallions and 6 tbsp. of panko breadcrumbs. Season and mix well.
- Form 4 cakes and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes. If the cakes fall apart, add panko breadcrumbs or mayonnaise.
- Meanwhile, place the beaten egg at the bottom of a plate, spread panko breadcrumbs at the bottom of another plate, and line a third plate with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat a generous amount of peanut oil. Coat the cakes first with egg, then with breadcrumbs, and fry until golden brown on both sides. Place cakes on paper towels. Set aside.
- Mix together the ingredients for the mayonnaise, and serve with the crab cakes.